Saturday, April 11, 2020

Review: One to Watch

One to Watch One to Watch by Kate Stayman-London
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One to Watch is unlike anything I have read before. Bea is a plus size fashion blogger who becomes the lead on a reality TV dating show. Her goal is to break down the expectation that all women are size 0, but her vision and the producers vision creates a very different product. This story deals with societal ideals of beauty, coming to terms with ones own identity and the way traumas from our past can inform our opinions of our future. Bea was beautifully flawed and relatable and I adored her as a female lead. The really unique thing about this book is that I had no idea who the hero was supposed to be, right up until the end. With 25 men competing for Bea's affection, it is difficult to know who to trust. My biggest complaint about the book is the mixed modalities in which the story is told, a combination of text, blogs, articles, interviews and narrative. While the information was ultimately supporting the narrative of the story, the differing formats interrupted my reading flow. This story was a solid 3.5 star review, but I rounded up for creativity and a strong heroine. 

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley an

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post:

Review: Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance

Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance by Jaqueline Snowe My rating: 3 of 5 stars ...