Saturday, August 3, 2019

Review: Get a Life, Chloe Brown

Get a Life, Chloe Brown Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book and voluntarily give my review.

People read romance for many reasons, but everyone generally accepts that the romance genre is steeped in fantasy. This fantasy generally involves heroes and heroines who are healthy, fit, toned, physically capable. Not to say there is not enjoyment in that, but it is extremely refreshing that romance novels, like Get a Life, Chloe Brown are beginning to represent people with different abilities, body types and personal challenges. This is a story that needed to be told and Talia Hibbert did and amazing job bringing Chloe and Red to life.

Chloe Brown is a curvy black woman who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a reality for an estimated 3%-6% of the worlds population. I personally have family members who have been diagnosed with this invisible disease, and representation in romance novels and media in general extremely important and refreshing. Red, is the best kind of hero, he is instantly drawn to Chloe, but he has a traumatic past and is dealing with his own demons. He sees beyond the barriers that kept others at a distance, and it melts my heart. The best part of this story is that through all of their ups and downs, neither of them tries to rely on the other to be their "everything". They both see the importance of maintaining their independence and being self sufficient. This novel addresses issues of race, ability, mental health, domestic abuse, and addiction, and does so in a relatable, tasteful and realistic way.

I can't gush about this story enough! I was unable to put it down, I talked about it with everyone I saw and asked everyone to add it to their TBR. Chloe and Red have stolen my heart, and their love story is beautiful, inspired, and about dang time :).


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post:

Review: Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance

Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance by Jaqueline Snowe My rating: 3 of 5 stars ...