Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Review: Loathe at First Sight

Loathe at First Sight Loathe at First Sight by Suzanne Park
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Loathe at First Sight is a story about a female in the gaming industry who, through a series of unexpected events, becomes the producer and creator of her own video game idea.

This book was really frustrating for the first 60% of the book. Melody is a Korean female in the gaming industry. This means that she is subjected to all the racist, sexist, bro, boys club language one would expect in a male dominated organization without appropriate diversity initiatives. As a professional female I was begging her to go to HR, get a lawyer take action. She stood up in small ways, but for the most part she put a smile on her face, did her job, and was kind to others even when they weren't kind to her.

Melody is a girl with a backbone and does find her voice. I am glad I finished this book and got to see how she came into her own, but I was still dissapointed by all the missed opportunities to address the rampant misogyny in the workplace. I think especially due to the events of the Black Lives Matter Movements and Protests of 2020 I felt she should have intervened so much earlier in the story.

That being said, from 60%-100% I couldn't put the book down! There is a bit of a romance in the story, but it was definitely romance-lite. I really want to know how Candace is, and an update on Melody's parents.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily give my review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post:

Review: Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance

Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance by Jaqueline Snowe My rating: 3 of 5 stars ...