Monday, July 20, 2020

Review: The Devil's Crown: Part One

The Devil's Crown: Part One The Devil's Crown: Part One by Monica James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Alek, Alek, Alek a fallen villan becomes an adored anti-hero and redemption never tasted so sweet. Aleksi Popov is the bad guy, for all intents and purposes. "You're a villain... who has a heart. And what woman doesn't want to try to fix a bad man?" I mean- she's not wrong. We all love a bad boy and Alek is one of the best I have read.

Alek is an unexpected hero, he has done horrible, deplorable things, but he has the heart of a warm gooey chocolate chip cookie. It gets him into trouble as he is trying to find his new balance as the fallen ruler of the Russian underworld. I have read many anti-hero books, but this book not only has an anti-hero but also what I would consider an anti-heroine. For most of the book I didn't feel like I could trust any of the females in the story and wasn't sure who our heroine was. This added a level of suspense that kept the pages turning quickly. For that reason I am going to keep the mystery alive, but let me just say Alek definitely meets his match.

This book is exciting and complicated and suspenseful and violent. It does come with a trigger warning but I am not easily triggered and was not negatively affected by the topics discussed. They were definitely necessary for this storyline and the dark depraved underworld that Monica James has created. Like all things there is balance though and the orphanage, the sisters who work there and a little girl named Irina help you see who Alek truly is.

This book follows the All the Pretty things trilogy by Monica James and I do recommend reading that series first. Then you should dive straight into this duet (Book 2 coming soon).

I received an ARC of this book and voluntarily give my review

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post:

Review: Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance

Scoring Forever: a best friends to enemies to lovers sports romance by Jaqueline Snowe My rating: 3 of 5 stars ...